Right everyone are you ready for this…. I am throwing down a challenge to you all.
If you want to make changes, we all know we have to make new habits. Habits that are better for us, like eating better, exercising more, getting better sleep and drinking more water. If you have ever struggled getting into a routine and making exercise and healthy living behaviours a habit then this is for you!
From 1st March 2017 we are starting a 21 day challenge.
Each day I will load a new workout routine and give you some ideas of how you can live a more healthy lifestyle. Start building better habits together.
If you are ready, willing and able, let me know on Facebook or email and we can get you started.
A few things to do before you begin. These tips are only there to help and work in your favour and are not mandatory but will benefit you more if you do them.
- Have a clear out of your cupboards of chocolate, sweets, crisps etc.
- Take a picture of yourself as you are today – this will be used as a before picture so you can see how far you have come at the end. It might be an idea to put the picture somewhere in the kitchen that you will see if you are tempted to sneak a cheeky packet of sweets.
- Stock up your kitchen cupboards with high protein foods such as lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas, quinoa etc.
- Keep a handy supply of green leafy vegetables, raw vegetables like carrots, cucumber and fresh fruit in your fridge. These will make a great snack with some hummous if you get peckish.
- Get your tape measures ready, and weigh yourself first thing in the morning. Keep all your measurements and weight as well as your exercise regime in a book for your record.
- Most importantly keep a food diary. Download a food diary app like Myfitnesspal and get logging your food intake and be honest with it. This is not a calorie counting exercise only a means by which you will see exactly what you are eating and you might see where you can make better choices.
Once you have done all of the above YOU ARE READY!!!
On day 1 (1st March 2017) As soon as you wake up you will need to weigh yourself and take your measurements.
Get your partner or friend to do your measurements if you need help.
Arms – Stand with your arms by your side, take the measurements at the biggest part of your bicep.
Chest – Measure around the fullest part of your chest.
Waist – Wrap the tape measure around your waist and join at the belly button.
Hips – Keep your feet together and measure the widest part of your hips.
Thighs – Step your legs apart and measure one thigh at the biggest part.
Please keep in mind these are only numbers they do not define you and are only used as a tool for tracking progress. It is how you feel and the confidence you gain that I would really like to be the true measure and not what number you see on the scale or measuring tape.
Before doing any type of training plan it is always a good idea to test where you are first to use a benchmark. We can repeat this again during the challenge and you will see how much progress you are making.
After a brief warm up of walking on the spot (or around the garden) or the warm up video below, perform each exercise for 1 minute and note the total of each. Keep this safe to refer back to.
After each exercise have 2 mins rest before performing the next exercise.
Exercise 1 – Squats
Exercise 2 – Push ups
Exercise 3 – Sit ups
Exercise 4 – Burpees
A little note on the workouts that will be coming up in the challenge.
I won’t include any of the warm ups or cool downs in the workout section so don’t forget to warm up and cool down properly everyday. It is really important to warm up and cool down properly to get your body ready for exercise and then to start the recovery process and aid mobility and stretch the worked muscles so they don’t stiffen up and you are not able to train the next day.
Equipment shouldn’t be necessary for most of the workouts however if you want to challenge yourself more and get more out of the sessions then add a little bit of weight to exercises where you can and there may be some workouts that need equipment so if you can have or can borrow a few pieces of equipment that would help.
Lets do it, its only 21 days.
Make the change today, see results tomorrow!!